Ref NoMS 1056
TitleHenry Hope and Sons Limited, metal window manufacturers
Date1818 - 1968
LevelCollection
Extent0.77
FormatCubic metres
AccessStatusOpen
AccessConditionsAccs. 2006/004, 2008/021, 2009/142: Open
AdminHistoryThe firm's principal business in the 19th century was the manufacture of 'metallic hothouses and horticultural building'. Other important aspects of its business include the manufacture of metal windows and the development of a range of standard metal windows, glass roofing, gearing and pressed metal. The Heating Department, which sprang from its business as hothouse makers was formed into a separate, wholly owned subsidiary company in 1927. Its main business has been the design and installation of systems of central heating, hot water supply and ventilation.

Chronology
1818 Founded by Thomas Clark, the firm was originally known as Jones and Clark. Premises in Lionel Street, Birmingham.
1864 Henry Hope taken into partnership and firm called Clark and Hope.
1875 Henry Hope became sole owner.
1898 Business incorporated as a limited company under names of Henry Hope and Sons Limited.
1905 Site at Smethwick acquired.
1919 Lionel Street works sold and business transferred to Smethwick.
1965 Company merged with Crittall Manufacturing Company limited to form Crittall-Hope Limited.
1968 Slater Walker Securities Limited acquired control of Crittall-Hope Limited.
ArrangementMS 1056 Henry Hope and Sons Limited, metal window manufacturers
MS 1056/1 Personal records
MS 1056/2 Corporate records
MS 1056/3 Financial records
MS 1056/4 Legal and administrative records
MS 1056/5 Operational records
MS 1056/6 Records relating to staff
MS 1056/7 Property and premises records
MS 1056/8 Development records
MS 1056/9 Marketing records
MS 1056/10 Other publications
MS 1056/11 Photographs
Related MaterialSee also MS 898, MS 114 and MS 1765.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020