Ref NoMS 2724
TitleWarwickshire Photographic Survey (1890 - 1955)
Date1850s - 2000s
LevelCollection
DescriptionThe basic structure of the WPS Collection is detailed in the System of Arrangement listed below. The Library always had custodianship of the collection and managed successive deposits of prints made by photographers involved in WPS both before and after the organising committee of the Survey moved to Birmingham Reference Library after the Second World War.

The Survey Collection cannot be said to belong to either body for the purposes of cataloguing the collection without completely breaking the collection in half to form either part of the Birmingham Photographic Society [BPS] archive (MS 2507) or the Birmingham City Council Library Services departmental records (BCC 1/DM/D/1).

For this reason, and because of the sheer complexity of the collection and the recent cataloguing and digitisation project, it was decided to give the whole collection of administrative and photographic records the Collection Reference Number MS 2724, with the various sub collections detailed below.

The catalogue records for individual items or groups of items provide the following information:

1. REFERENCE NUMBER: Preceded by MS 2724. This number refers to the original reference numbers from when the Survey prints were deposited at Birmingham Referene Library. These numbers generally appear at the top right hand corner of the prints and were cross-checked with a two volume index to the core collection (dated c1930s) to ascertain their provenance and place in the new catalogue structure.

2. FINDING NUMBER (where applicable): Generally referring to the WK box numbers of all of the photographic records in the collection, as they are currently arranged on the shelves.

3. CREATOR: Generally name of individual photographer or organisation who commissioned or took the photograph.

4. TITLE and DATE: Items that were not dated have been given the prefix ‘n.d.’ [No Date] with the likely date of creation given in square brackets. For example n.d. [c1892], n.d. [1890s – 1900s].

5. EXTENT and FORMAT: For example 1 Photograph, 1 Volume.

6. DESCRIPTION: Any additional information written on the photograph can be found here, including photographic process used, time of day photograph was taken, any other notes / remarks about the subject taken.

6. ACCESS STATUS and COPYRIGHT NOTES: Access Status governs access to images or surrogates should an item be deemed sensitive, usually under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998. Copyright Notes governs reproduction of images in the collection for private study purposes or commercial publication / display. Electronic catalogue records of items deemed sensitive for either or both reasons will not have an associated thumbnail attached (see notes below).

7. CONDITION: Either 'Good', 'Fair', 'Poor' or 'Unusable'.

Many of the item entries in the catalogue for Sub Collections MS 2724/2, MS 2724/3, MS 2724/4 and MS 2724/5 have digital thumbnails attached. All of the surviving prints for Birmingham should have a thumbnail attached unless the item is missing or the subject matter was deemed sensitive to publish via the CALMView on-line catalogue for reasons of data protection or copyright law. A sizeable chunk of the Warwickshire county prints have also been digitised in which their thumbnails should appear for their respective catalogue entries. Scanning the photographs for areas of the county outside of Birmingham was not deemed a priority given the huge size of the project but as more digital content is completed from the remaining material in future it is hoped to add images to their catalogue entries as necessary.

There are also a couple of administrative records and minutes of the Survey Committee which date from its founding until the demise of that committee during the latter half of the 1950s. These were brought into Central Library from various depositors and given different reference numbers but all of these have now been brought together to form a coherent sequence as part of the Administrative Records Sub Collection MS 2724/1 below.


N.B. The catalogues currently available on-line on CALM View are incomplete and only represent a fraction of the catalogues in the CALM system as many entries require further editing, hence gaps in the item sequences that will be seen when the catalogue is uploaded. There are numerous boxes of photographs that still require cataloguing and digitising. It is anticipated that further catalogue records / digital content will be made available in the future pending completion and editing. Sub collection MS 2724/6 and its associated record Series are have not yet been added to the live catalogues. Information detailing when further catalogues are made available will be circulated via appropriate publicity on the Library of Birmingham website (www.libraryofbirmingham.com) and the Archives, Heritage and Photography service's blog and Twitter feed (theironroom.wordpress.com). The current catalogue(s) were made available from August 2013 to ensure that existing catalogues and digital content (subject to copyright) was made available in time for the opening of the Library of Birmingham in September 2013.
Extent16.76
FormatCubic metres
AccessStatusPartially closed (Content)
AccessConditionsSome items in the collection may have been closed as they contain sensitive subject matter (i.e. patients in hospital). Access conditions for such items are detailed in the individual catalogue entries with any closure periods highlighted. Thumbnails have not been added to publically-available on-line catalogues where the subject matter has been deemed sensitive.
AdminHistoryThe Warwickshire Photographic Survey (hereafter WPS) was founded in 1890 following a proposal read by William Jerome Harrison (1845 - 1908) to the Birmingham Photographic Society (hereafter BPS) in 1889. It was Harrison and another notable amateur photographer, Sir John Benjamin Stone (1834 - 1914), who would become major influences on the future of the Photographic Survey Movement both nationally and internationally. The WPS was amongst the first of several such groups founded in Britain towards the end of the nineteenth century. The membership of these camera clubs was largely dominated by the growing number of amateur photographers taking up the hobby as a result of changes in photographic technology that it more affordable to a larger section of society. The Photographic Survey Movement was a response from mainly middle-class amateur photographers with means and leisure time to create a lasting photographic record of the British urban and rural landscape that was undergoing unprecedented transformation as a result of the Agrarian and Industrial Revolutions.

Harrison was born in Yorkshire to a farming family and was educated as a teacher. He had been a keen photographer since 1881, becoming Vice-President of the Birmingham Photographic Society (hereafter BPS) four years later (for records of the BPS see MS 2507). In 1885 he had prepared and read a 25 page paper before a meeting of the BPS entitled ‘On the Work of a Local Photographic Society’, eventually published in the ‘Photographic News’, 3 July 1885, its key objective stating:

‘Much useful local work can be done by a local photographic society. By securing accurate representations of old buildings we can furnish a record for posterity, whose accuracy cannot be disputed, and whose interest in the future would be great. But I would not only photograph the old buildings - I would secure rapid impressions of the daily appearance of our streets, of the principal lines of thoroughfare, and of the busy crowds by which they are traversed.’

Harrison’s proposal was not immediately taken up by the BPS, although his name was becoming familiar in the photographic world more widely. In 1889 Harrison read his rationale and methodology for obtaining a complete photographic record of the county of Warwickshire before the Vesey Club, a scientific society based in Sutton Coldfield. It was at this meeting where he met John Benjamin Stone, who would become President of the BPS in 1889. Stone was a notable figure in local political and intellectual life and another keen amateur photographer, as well as an extensive collector of photographic images. Harrison's proposal requested:

‘That the Council be requested to call a special general meeting to consider the feasibility of a photographic survey of Warwickshire, the object being to secure an accurate and unbiased record of the scenery, monuments, life, natural history, facts, &c., of our county as they now exist.’

Harrison’s paper was then read before a meeting of the BPS on 11 December 1889. The proposal was published in several photographic journals such as ‘The Camera’ and ‘The British Journal of Photography.’ It was signed by the majority of those members and invitations sent to all of the principal local photographic societies and related organisations. Survey photography was unique in that the photographer’s remit was to actively create a visual record for posterity. For this reason, it would be a historical record defined by the interests and bias of its largely male, middle-class membership who took part in the actual survey work, with Marian Silverston, the Survey’s sole Jewish, female photographer, being one notable exception.

A committee was formed to iron out a survey plan and routines of work. This group would decide on patches of countryside to be surveyed and the allocation of photographic teams per area by ballot, usually one pair of photographers per map sheet covering an area of about 6 square miles. Following Harrison's original proposal, the 6 inch to 1 mile edition of the Ordnance Survey map would be used to divide the county amongst the photographic teams and the ancient Anglo-Saxon administrative division of the 'Hundred' would denote the land unit each team would survey.

Photographers were to study maps of their allocated areas and research the history of churches, buildings and monuments prior to commencing survey work. Teams were then to visit the site without cameras walking across the district, gathering information to locate geographic points where conditions were conducive to good photography. Once completed prints and lantern slides were taken from the negatives. As well as the visual output generated by Survey photographers working in the field it was also intended to purchase negatives or copies of photographs taken by other photographers to bolster the collection as necessary, where their working methodology and subject remit was similar to the Survey teams.

The Survey Committee believed that the collection would and should have a wider educational value. Both Harrison and Stone had earlier expressed their belief that the work of photographic surveys should be disseminated to a wider public. Prints were to be made accessible through the medium of public exhibitions, and eventual deposit at a suitable public reference library to be made accessible for public consultation or academic study. It was envisaged that lantern slides be created from the negatives for use in schools, libraries, public lectures and touring exhibitions, to widen access to the collection more widely. This ethos befitted the philosophy of late Victorian philanthropists and social reformers, who saw public libraries and access to knowledge as a key facet of the educational reform movement more generally, and a force of enlightenment and self-improvement. This attitude in some respects pre-dates more recent initiatives within Birmingham Central Library (where the WPS Collection was eventually deposited) to improve and widen access to its visual and textual collections through the medium of digital on-line resources and outreach, education and community engagement activities.

At a meeting of 8 May 1890 (see minute book MS 2724/1/1/1) it was resolved that the Survey Section of the Birmingham Photographic Survey be formally established. On 22 May 1890 a Council was elected to administer its administrative affairs, at which the Council of the Survey Section for Warwickshire was firmly established, with Stone as President and Harrison as Vice-President. It was proposed that this Survey Council should comprise 'elected representatives from the various Photographic Artistic Scientific & Library Societies of the County in proportion of five per cent of the number of members in the respective Societies; and that these representatives shall have future powers to elect cooperative members and that the Council should have authority to direct the survey and appoint future Trustees for taking charge of the funds obtained.’

Within two years the Survey Section comprised 38 members with 35 cameras between them, including Mr Edwin Underwood, manufacturer of the Underwood Camera, Mr Arthur J. Leeson, who later became President of the Survey Section, and Mr Percy T. Deakin, one of the Survey's first Curators, responsible for administering and organising exhibitions of the Survey's photographic output. A number of cooperative members were also appointed, including figures on several of the region's main local government bodies, representatives of organisations such as the Coventry and Leamington Photographic Societies, the Vesey Club, the Archaeological Society of the Midland Institute, Birmingham Natural History Society and the Royal Society of Artists Birmingham. The Survey and its Council was nominally affiliated to the BPS and met in the Society’s club rooms, although it kept its own minutes and elected its own members and officers. An Executive Committee of the Council was also founded later that year (led by Harrison) to formulate a more detailed methodology for survey work.

Instructions issued to photographers were fairly detailed but not proscriptive, as it was at first envisioned the Survey would always have a creative as well as a documentary emphasis. Photographers would ‘be at liberty to select any square of the Hundred on which to begin work. Should [five] or more members desire the same square it shall be altered by ballot.’ Prints could be any size with whole plate (8.5 x 6.5 inch) recommended. Prints were to be created by some permanent process, either carbon, platinum or bromide; they were to be displayed on standardised mounts measuring 14 x 11 inches with a grey margin and cream centre, with each mount taking one full plate, two half plates or four quarter plates. On the back of each mount a list of standardised notes about the photograph were taken, including Title, Subject, Date and Time the photograph was taken, Focus of Lens, Printing Process and Paper, Remarks, and Name and Address of Contributor.

During its first year of existence the Survey amassed a considerable body of photographic work, including views taken by Ernest Brasier of various public buildings and monuments in Birmingham city centre (see MS 2724/2/B/812 - 820) and F.G. Lyndon's photographs of the royal visit of the Edward Prince of Wales to the city in 1891 (see MS 2724/2/B/678 - 681). At the end of 1891 500 prints were exhibited at the Annual Exhibition of the BPS with Survey Photography becoming a separate class in the Society’s Annual Competitions.

On 23 February 1892 the Survey Council appointed an Organising Sub-Committee ‘for the purpose of drawing up a list of subjects which it is desirable to photograph.’ On 3 March 1892 it was resolved that a Selection Committee also be formed to ‘select enough photos to fill the 500 frames for exhibition at the Art Gallery (scheduled for 13 May that year) of those photos they deem will form a good idea of the Photo Survey.’ The 1892 Annual Exhibition was a huge success, displaying a total of over 600 images. Exhibitions of new prints would be staged at Birmingham Art Gallery once a year. At the conclusion of each exhibition the collected exhibition prints along with copies of any additional work not exhibited were deposited at Birmingham Reference Library in single blocks. 1,000 images, including the original mounted exhibition prints, were specially bound and presented to Birmingham Corporation within an entire series of specially bound folio volumes to be preserved in the Birmingham Free Library at Ratcliff Place. This process continued annually, each series of deposited prints given a running number from 1 onwards, forming the original order of the Survey Collection as replicated in the catalogue for the pre-Second World War photographic archive listed in Sub Collection MS 2724/2 below.

Even in its formative years during the early 1890s the WPS was also considering undertaking a photographic record of the neighbouring counties of Staffordshire and Worcestershire, and some preliminary survey work was accomplished, mostly in the parishes immediately bordering the county of Warwickshire. Favourable press coverage encouraged photographic groups elsewhere, most notably in Cardiff and Manchester, to engage in similar projects. In 1892 Harrison prepared an additional paper advocating the formation of a National Photographic Society, read before the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain that year. It was rejected under wide criticism from the 251 local photographic societies in Britain as too impractical. Harrison took his idea to the World Congress on Photography at Chicago in 1893, reading a paper entitled ‘The Desirability of an International Bureau.’ An International Committee was formed with France and the USA eventually forming national photographic societies.

The rejection of his original proposal by the Royal Photographic Society led to Harrison’s resignation from both the BPS and WPS that year, and he devoted his time largely to other interests until his death in 1908. A National Photographic Record Association (NPRA) was eventually founded in 1897, with Stone elected its first and only President, but only collected around 500 prints per year in the ten years of its existence. In 1910 it was declared that the organisation should cease, although its work was continued by other local societies.

Towards the end of 1896 detailed plans were discussed to reorganise the Survey Council and on 9 December it was proposed that this new body be called The Council of the Photographic Society of Warwickshire, with a new constitution, set of rules and a Management Committee comprising the President, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, and Honorary Curator and five elected. Despite some regrets at the increasing number of rules, survey work continued energetically. By 1898 the total number of pictures deposited at the Birmingham Reference Library stood at 2,256. A selection of 50 prints was sent to the International Exhibition at the Crystal Palace, London, in response to an invitation from the Council of the Royal Photographic Society, and it was also agreed that the pictures be shown at their show.

In 1897 Stone put forward a resolution which was passed by the BPS insisting on the necessity of judging Survey Classes in the Society’s Annual Exhibition on its value as a record, rather than both documentary and pictorial merits as before. He had previously expressed concerns about the blurring of distinctions between the documentary and the ‘pictorialist’ form by the photographers. The prevalence of pictoralist work had been criticised in the Birmingham Post in 1892, as this more contrived artistic approach to photography seemed to go against the ethos of the Survey in presenting an accurate visual record of the region, presenting instead what appeared to be an unrealistically idealistic vision of the region and its people. Since its early working methodology was non-proscriptive the WPS had hitherto included a mixture of photographers whose work was either influenced by the 'pictorialist' school and those who utilised 'documentary' approach favoured by Stone. It has been argued that no real precedent existed as yet for the documentary style of photography, since the WPS was amongst the first Photographic Record Surveys in the country. Styles could vary dramatically between the two camps, some photographers even utilising both approaches as they felt fit.

The lack of clarity how to approach record survey photography highlighted by Stone began to feed into the meetings of the Survey Council from 1898. These debates are summarised are recorded in the meeting minutes of the surviving minute books by the turn of the century. 'Pictorialist' images had dominated the early work of the Survey particularly during the years 1890 – 1892, most evident in the work of Edwin C. Middleton, James Simkins and J.H. Pickard. The increasingly rapid pace of change taking place in the region, particularly marked in industrial Birmingham, was feeding into the discussions at Survey Council meetings around the same time, probably the shift to documentary photography. From around the turn of the century the approach of the Survey Teams changed with the emphasis now shifting to detailed documentary study, and this style of camera work became increasingly represented in the collection. The documentary approach is best exemplified by the work of Percy J. Deakin, W.T. Greatbach, Thomas Clarke and George Whitehouse, who often worked collaboratively as a Survey Team in the field, their surviving field diaries giving valuable insights into the day-to-day travelling itinerary of how the photographers worked and spent their leisure time during their expeditions across the county of Warwickshire.

Detailed room-by-room studies of buildings scheduled for demolition and grittier, more natural representations of street life in big cities like Birmingham formed an increasing proportion of the photographic output from 1897, as opposed to the picturesque, posed and idealised representations of the great houses, rural parishes and countryside of Warwickshire and its population that made up much of the Survey’s output during the early 1890s. Particularly detailed studies of the interior of Market Hall and the outdoor market districts around the Moat Lane and Bull Ring districts of the city centre provide particularly vivid evidence of street life in the city’s working class areas at the beginning of the twentieth century, showing street hawkers, newspaper vendors, ice cream sellers, and animals being driven to market through the city streets, as well as the bustle of commercial activity at the market stalls themselves. At an Ordinary General Meeting of 24 September 1902 it was suggested that views of Birmingham Theatre Royal both outside and inside be taken as it was shortly to be rebuilt, as well as the Onion and Horse Fairs which ‘are quickly passing out of existence.’

Photographic surveys continued to thrive across the country during the early years of the twentieth century. In 1906 William Jerome Harrison made a brief foray back into the photographic mainstream. He presented a paper entitled 'The Desirability of Promoting County Photographic Surveys' at the Annual Meeting of the British Association of the Advancement of Science. The paper is now seen as one of the definitive texts on survey photography, tracing the evolution of the movement and acknowledging the work done by Stone’s National Photographic Record Association (NPRA) and survey teams across the country. Looking for a new avenue to pursue and hoping to encourage further photographic survey work, Stone chaired a meeting held three weeks before the demise of the NPRA in 1910 to establish draft rules for a Federation of Photographic Record Societies. Five days after the NPRA was folded, another meeting formally ratified the report of the provisional committee, which drew heavily on Harrison's earlier paper, inaugurating the Federation and electing Stone as its first President.

By 1914, the year of Stone’s death, it was reported that the photographs deposited at the Reference Library were being re-arranged to make them more accessible to members of the public. By now Birmingham Reference Library had also received from Handsworth Public Library some 300 prints from the Handsworth Photographic Society Survey Section from Handsworth Public Library, whose photographers had been working concurrently with the WPS since the late 1890s (see MS 2724/4). Some of the Handsworth Survey’s membership contributed prints from their negatives to the WPS, and a few were even members of the Warwickshire Survey. The Survey Council minutes show that a good working relationship continued to be maintained between the WPS and the Birmingham Reference Library. The Library continued to main a key role as custodian of the Survey Collection, as it had since the first deposit of prints was granted to the city authorities. The arrangement of the deposited prints was as much influenced by the collection management processes employed by Reference Library staff as by the methodology and work routines of the WPS Council and its photographers in the field.

By 1915 the Survey Collection numbered over 4000 prints. Survey work was largely interrupted by the outbreak of the First World War (1914 – 1918), the result of increased prices of materials and many of the membership being called up for active service, although Bernard Moore’s photos of the 1st Southern General Military Hospital based at the University of Birmingham, some of which show patients, remain powerful evidence of the impact of the war on Birmingham, showing how existing buildings were adapted to wartime conditions. The Survey faced problems during the immediate post-war years, when only £40 was raised to complete the Survey out of a total of £250 requested by the Survey Chairman, Mr Arthur J. Leeson. In 1921 the Survey was fully absorbed into the BPS. Prints were now contributed to the Survey Collection by BPS members; no systematic survey work was initiated until after the Second World War. The Survey Collection was bolstered with prints from negatives taken by other organisations, most notably the Birmingham Mail and Birmingham City Council City Surveyor’s Department. Its size increased significantly in 1921 by the deposit of a large collection of around 2000 topographic photographic prints bequeathed by the local historian Howard Shakespeare Pearson (see MS 2724/5).

As a result of the increasingly tense international situation by the end of the 1930s, detailed photographic studies were being taken of vulnerable buildings in the region by groups such as the National Building Record, the Central Council for the Care of Churches and the Archdeaconry of Warwick. The development of military technology since the First World War meant that should any imminent conflict break out, civilian areas were at greater risk of aerial attack than before. The outbreak of war in September 1939 revitalised the Survey to an extent, and according to surviving administrative records an impressive 598 photographic prints were deposited at Birmingham Reference Library for inclusion in the Survey Collection between October 1939 and September 1942. At this point the core pre-war WPS Collection (now MS 2724/2) numbered in the region of 7500 prints, 10,000 including the Pearson Collection and Handsworth Photographic Survey prints. During the latter years of the war staff shortages at the library and wartime demands on materials meant caused photographic deposits to drop off, whilst only around half of the larger batches of prints deposited during the early years of the war could be properly mounted. Once hostilities had ended in 1945 it was decided to take steps to obtain prints from the negatives and also arouse active interest in the Survey once again.

At a meeting of 3 July 1945 it was decided from a point raised in a letter by Mr E.H. Bellamy, Secretary of the BPS, that a Sub-Committee be formed, during which a number of proposals be enacted:

1. All places in the county not represented in the existing Survey be photographed ‘unless already adequately done by some other photographic society’, noting that where there existed churches or buildings of historical significance, a complete set of photographs of interiors and exteriors should be produced.
2. Existing photographs were to be examined, and all places in Warwickshire only partially documented were to be completed, whilst any poor or fading photographs were to be replaced.
3. Finally, a careful watch was to be kept on any future demolition works in the county so that any buildings scheduled could be photographed before they were lost forever.

The Secretary was particularly interested in the proposed Birmingham Corporation Bill that by January 1946 was about to go before Parliament, proposing five major Redevelopment Areas in Birmingham’s central wards and inner suburbs that would radically alter the heart of the city. Added to this, increased wartime and peacetime taxation were identified as bringing great changes in the social structure, with the great family estates and houses becoming rarer by the mid-twentieth century. The need to document this old world before it was lost forever was considered by the membership to be of greater urgency than ever before.

At the BPS’s Annual General Meeting of 23 February 1946 a resolution was passed that the City Librarian be approached with a view to calling a meeting of interested individuals and photographic societies ‘so that the work could be divided between them.’ After another meeting that August, following further attempts to revitalise the Survey, it was decided to have an exhibition of Survey prints in the BPS’s Club Rooms from 19 to 28 August. A small preliminary committee was also formed to draft a constitution for a permanent body to administer it made up of individuals and organisations with an interest in the Survey. 1020 prints were deposited at the Reference Library between October and December 1946 alone.

It was emphasised that due to the scale of the work the Survey should comprise a mixture of photographers, archaeologists, historians, architects, librarians, and representatives of municipal institutions. A new Executive Committee was appointed, including Mr F.J. Patrick, City Librarian of Birmingham as Chairman, Mr S.A. Jeavons, Birmingham Archaeological Society, as Honorary Director, and various members drawn from other local historical and photographic societies. The Honorary Director was to be a photographer and would take charge of the team or teams who would do the record work. Jeavons himself was a prolific contributor to the post-war Survey with three large batches of his prints deposited at the Reference Library between 1948 - 1950 (see Series MS 2724/3/35, 15 and 79).

The committee had the power to reject any photographs submitted. It was agreed that any organisation or person could have prints made from the negative ‘at the current trade price, such prints to be made by the photographer concerned unless he gives other instructions.’ The surviving register of photographs shows that from the late 1940s photographs were increasingly being purchased from other photographic companies, local newspapers (i.e. Birmingham Post and Mail Limited) and local government bodies (i.e. Birmingham City Council Public Works Department) as well as private individuals.

The WPS as an organisation is generally considered to have disbanded in the year 1950. However, the post-war administrative records of the Survey from 1946 run prior to and beyond this year, and there is no noticeable change in the membership of the Survey’s Executive Committee. 1946 marks the point at which the Survey ceased to be an active Survey administered by a committee made up of photographers working in the field as an affiliated branch of the BPS. The Survey Collection was technically administered by this committee from the Birmingham Reference Library. Its key role had shifted to advising on areas of Birmingham and Warwickshire that required documentation and coordinating the deposit of photographic prints from the type of outside individuals and organisations detailed in the above paragraph. Thus the administration of the WPS, as well as the arrangement and care of the collection had become an integral part of the Central Reference Library management structure rather than that of the BPS.

The work these individuals and organisations produced reflected their own corporate remit, often very different to the ethos and the largely amateur photographers who dominated the membership of the early WPS. The work produced was much more in tune with the new emphasis on collecting evidence of Birmingham's social and economic structure and the ever more rapid changes experienced during the immediate post-war period. Increasingly, the subject matter of the photographs (bomb damage, slum clearance areas before and after redevelopment, evidence of trades and industries that were dying out) reflected the experiences of Birmingham working classes, who had lived through the of the Blitz and whose communities were about to experience unprecedented transformation as a result of post-war redevelopment schemes and technological change, alongside the more traditional views of churches and public buildings, royal jubilees and visits, and major events such as the Festival of Britain, 1951. According to the register of photographs kept by the Reference Library this newly constituted Survey Committee sat from 1946 until its termination in 1955, although the accession register continued to be kept until 1958. For photographic records of the post-war WPS see MS 2724/3 below.

The Central Reference Library (later Birmingham Local Studies and History, then Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service) continued to take prints deposited by private individuals and corporate bodies (including City Council departments) which were filed with the original WPS Collection, as well as non-photographic visual material, including prints, newspaper cuttings, even the occasional drawing or painting. In 1974 the WPS was absorbed into the Local Studies Illustrations Collection. New The Local Studies and History Department endeavoured to develop the existing collection in accordance with Harrison's original criteria whilst encouraging the work of local photographers. The Survey Collection as it had existed was given a new geographical indexing system to improve public access to the collection and was re-boxed and re-numbered accordingly. The original bound volumes of photographs were broken up and the mounted prints arranged, with a new numbering system, by geographical area, usually village/parish, town or city/suburb (i.e. WK/A7 Aston, WK/B11 Central Birmingham etc), effectively creating a hybrid collection in which the original order of the core Survey Collection was broken up and the prints amalgamated with these later deposits. For a summary of the additional photographers and organisations whose material was added to the collection after c1958 see MS 2724/6 below.

The field work begun by the Photographic Record and Survey Movement in the late nineteenth century has been maintained in the West Midlands by organisations such as Worcestershire Record Office, who continued survey work based largely on Harrison's methodology since 1950. In 2007 the Birmingham Photographic Grid developed a project to photographically record aspects of Birmingham within a given timeframe and specific geographical space. Its working methodology bore the influence of William Jerome Harrison's original proposals, a group of 33 amateur photographers, who had a connection with Birmingham, recording 340 images at pre-determined points within Birmingham's Number 11 Outer Circle bus route (for records of the Birmingham Photographic Grid see MS 2727). Recent detailed photographic studies of central Birmingham's buildings undertaken around the same time by the photographer Anthony Spettigue from the mid-1980s to 2008 (now integrated with the Survey Collection) bears a remarkably similar approach to that undertaken by the pioneering WPS photographers. His work focused on obtaining a record of small to medium-sized local commercial properties, particularly pubs as many of the licensed premises he photographed were in the process of demolition or at risk of closure as a result of declining consumer confidence and other factors that have hit the pub trade since the credit crunch and financial crash of 2007.

Despite its complex history and development the WPS remains one of Birmingham Archives and Heritage's most widely used collections. In 2009 a funding bid was approved in order to improve access to the WPS collection through the digitisation of the surviving photographic images for online content and the establishment of the original order of the old Survey Collection (c1890 - 1958) that forms the basis of this catalogue in relation to the photographic and other illustrated material that has been added to it since. This should allow historians of photography and the Photographic Survey Movement more widely to better understand the historical development of the original Survey, the subject matter covered at different times, and the work patterns of individual photographers across seven decades of the region's history, separating this core collection from the huge array of photographic and illustrative material added since that has helped develop the visual collection into that which exists today.
ArrangementMS 2724 Warwickshire Photographic Survey (1890 - 1950)

MS 2724/1 Administrative records

MS 2724/2 Warwickshire Photographic Survey photographs (collected c1890 - 1942)
MS 2724/2/A Series 'A'
MS 2724/2/B Series 'B'
MS 2724/2/BB Series 'BB'
MS 2724/2/C Series 'C'
MS 2724/2/CC Series 'CC'
MS 2724/2/D Series 'D'

MS 2724/3 Warwickshire Photographic Survey Post-War Series (Collected c1942 - 1958)

MS 2724/4 Handsworth Photographic Society Survey Section (1895 - 1908)

MS 2724/5 MS 2724/5 Howard Shakespeare Pearson Topographical Photographs (c1890s - 1920s)

MS 2724/6 Material added to the collection after the disbanding of the Warwickshire Photographic Survey (collected c1958 - 2008)
MS 2724/6/1 Photographic prints created by other named photographers and organisations
MS 2724/6/2 Photographs of unknown provenance
MS 2724/6/3 Duplicates of original photographs in the WPS Collection
MS 2724/6/4 Non-photographic visual material


List of Boxes:
Broad Street, 1-298 (8 boxes)
Bull Ring, 1-495 (13 boxes)
Bull Street, 1-69 (2 boxes)
Central Library (Old & New), 1-105 (3 boxes)
Christchurch, 1-43 (1 box)
Colmore Row, 1-129 (3 boxes)
Corporation Street, 1-171 (4 boxes)
Council House, 1-195 (5 boxes)
Edmund Street, 1-73 (2 boxes)
Curzon Street & Station, 1-34 (1 box)
Gas Street Basin, 1-53 (2 boxes)
Hall of Memory, 1-65 (2 boxes)
High Street, 1-95 (2 boxes)
Moor Street & Station, 1-70 (2 boxes)
New Street, 1-278 (6 boxes)
New Street Station, 1-58 (1 box)
Newhall Street, 1-54 (2 boxes)
Rotunda, 1-51 (2 boxes)
St. Chad's, 1-54 (2 boxes)
St. Martin's, 1-72 (1 box)
St. Phillip's, 1-226 (6 boxes)
Snow Hill Station, 1-73 (2 boxes)
Town Hall, 1-170 (4 boxes)
Victoria Square, 1-106 (3 boxes)

WK/A1/1-373 (8 boxes): Acocks Green
WK/A2/1-153 (3 boxes): Alcester
WK/A3/1-12 (1 box): Alesley
WK/A4/1-63 (2 boxes): Arbury
WK/A5/1-28 (1 box): Ashow
WK/A6/1-59 (2 boxes): Astley
WK/A7/1-491 (12 boxes): Aston
WK/A8/1-248 (5 boxes): Aston Hall
WK/A9/1-58 (2 boxes): Aston Cantlow
WK/A10/1-38 (1 box): Atherstone
WK/A11/1-30 (1 box): Arden
WK/A12/1-44 (1 box): Ashted
WK/B1/1-103 (3 boxes): Baddesley Clinton
WK/B2/1-55 (1 box): Balsall
WK/B3/1-276 (6 boxes): Balsall Heath
WK/B4/1-27 (1 box): Barcheston
WK/B5/1-22 (1 box): Barston
WK/B6/1-207 (5 boxes): Bartley Green & Frankley
WK/B7/1-109 (3 boxes): Berkswell
WK/B8/1-52 (1 box): Bickenhill
WK/B9/1-73 (2 boxes): Bidford-on-Avon
WK/B10/1-24 (1 box): Billesley, Binton, Luddington
WK/B11/292-304: 1902 Coronation of King Edward VII, crowds and illuminations.
WK/B11/307-324: George V silver jubilee celebrations 1935.
WK/B11/327-394: Markets c.1900.
WK/B11/496-523: Gates and railings! 1912.
WK/B11/555-559: George V royal visit, 1917.
WK/B11/567-590: Hospitals c.1900.
WK/B11/625-739: Theatre Royal 1901.
WK/B11/741-845: Churches 1882-1941.
WK/B11/913-930: Weights and Measures Department 1901.
WK/B11/935-946: Birmingham University Students' Carnival 1936.
WK/B11/1114-1120: Damage from I.R.A bombings of 'Maples' store, July 1974.
WK/B11/1201-1241: Markets 1901.
WK/B11/1379-1446: Festival of Britain Land Travelling Exhibition 1951.
WK/B11/1545-1553: Birmingham University Carnival 1946.
WK/B11/1561-2478 (17 boxes): Photos of Slums, arranged alphabetically by street.
WK/B11/4395-4475 (2 boxes): Aerial Views of Birmingham 1920s-1970s.
WK/B11/4476-4512 (1 box): Aftermath of several I.R.A Bombings 1974 (various dates).
WK/B11/4586-4754 (4 boxes): Schools (1970s, in alphabetical order).
WK/B11/4821-5038 (4 boxes): Blitz bomb damage (no apparent order).
WK/B11/5039-5101 (2 boxes): Pubs (1964, mostly exteriors).
WK/B11/5143-5177 (1 box): Victorian school children during lessons (1896).
WK/B11/5178-5208 (1 box): Various photos of and relating to the Police (1933-1975).
WK/B11/5283-5370 (3 boxes): Trams (early C20).
WK/B11/5371-5381: Car Manufacture (1930, 1948, 1965).
WK/B11/5429-5463 (1 box): Canals
WK/B11/5464-5486 (1 box): National Front rally & demonstration against, Feb 1978.
WK/B11/5599-5610: The end of rationing, 1953.
WK/B11/5611-5643 (1 box): Poulton’s Victorian Birmingham, c.1895.
WK/B11/5644-5663 (1 box): George Hook & Co, pearl button makers (1982).
WK/B11/5845-5857: Car manufacture.
WK/B11/5858-5900 (1 box): Canals (mostly 1913).
WK/B11/6012-6078 (1 box): Manzoni collection: photos taken in preparation for the Birmingham inner ring road, 1945-6.
WK/B11/6165-6191 (1 box): Fairgrounds (early C20).
WK/B11/6079-6164 (2 boxes): Cinemas (1920s-1960s).
WK/B11/6295-6318: Trams (1950s).
WK/B11/6521-6559 (1 box): Children in class (various schools, John Birdsall, 1988).
WK/B11/6560-6587 (1 box): 'Street furniture' (public clocks, fountains, etc; c.1900-1957).
WK/B11/6588-6624 (1 box): George V coronation celebration decorations, May 1937.
WK/B11/6625-6639 (1 box): Day & Co. shoe shop (New Street), c.1950.
WK/B11/6665-6680 (1 box): International Convention Centre, c.1990.
WK/B11/6681-6704 (1 box): Munitions workers, Mills Hand Grenade Works, c.1915.
WK/B11/6705-6748 (1 box): Line drawings of Birmingham by Archie Exton.
WK/B11/6749-6779 (1 box): Mary Neale collection, includes celebrations at the end of the Boer War, 1902.
WK/B11/6780-6791: Street Musicians, 1991, Roger Joyce.
WK/B11/6818-6857 (1 box): Canals (various dates).
WK/B11/6858-6876 (1 box): Plans and models of the proposed Civic Centre, 1932.
WK/B11/6918-7181 (3 boxes): Industry and industrial workers (various dates).
WK/B11/7182-7208 (1 box): Burman & Sons Ltd. 1931.
WK/B11/7209-7333 (1 box): Gun Trade, c.1950.
WK/B11/7474-7484 (1 box): Aerial views of the city centre, 1992.
WK/B11/7525-7556: Fire Brigade (1887-).
WK/B11/7800-7836 (1 box): 'Sacred Spaces' (various temples and churches), c.1990.
WK/B11/7837-7889 (1 box): Construction and opening of the International Convention Centre, 1988-1991.
WK/B11/7890-7960 (1 box): Police, 1930s-1960s.
WK/B11/8021-8049 (1 box): Sikhs in Birmingham, c.1995.
WK/B11/8050-8168 (1 box): Old Midland Institute, pre 1966.
WK/B12/1-347 (7 boxes): Bordesley
WK/B13/1-358 (9 boxes): Bournville
WK/B14/1-32 (1 box): Brailes
WK/B15/1-43 (1 box): Broom
WK/B16/1-36 (1 box): Burton Dassett
WK/B17/1-3 (1 box): Bearley (3 photos of a canal)
WK/B18/1-140 (3 boxes): Bearwood
WK/B19/1-36 (1 box): Bedworth
WK/C1/1-261 (6 boxes): Castle Bromwich
WK/C1/100-151 (2 boxes): Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory c.1943
WK/C2/1-43 (1 box): Charlecote
WK/C3/1-27 (1 box): Chelmsley Wood (inc. Marston Green)
WK/C4/1-27 (1 box): Claverdon
WK/C5/1-87 (2 boxes): Compton Wynyates
WK/C6/1-215 (5 boxes): Coleshill
WK/C7/1-23 (1 box): Compton Verney
WK/C8/1-22 (1 box): Corley
WK/C9/1-41 (1 box): Coughton
WK/C10/1-504 (11 boxes): Coventry
WK/C10/451-504 (2 boxes): Coventry, Papal Visit, 1982
WK/C11/1-15 (1 box): Curdworth
WK/C12/1-16 (1 box): Castle Vale
WK/D1/1-1768 (36 boxes): Digbeth & Deritend
WK/D1/1200-1270 (1 box): Digbeth Midsummer Festival 1986
WK/D2/1-30 (1 box): Dunchurch
WK/E1/1-1472 (30 boxes): Edgbaston
WK/E2/1-1202 (30 boxes): Erdington
WK/E2/243-267 (1 box): Gravelly Hill Interchange / Spaghetti Junction 1969-1972
WK/E3/1-44 (1 box): Ettington
WK/E4/1-19 (1 box): Exhall
WK/F1/1-31 (1 box): Fenny Compton
WK/F2/1-21 (1 box): Four Oaks
WK/G1/1-69 (2 boxes): Great Barr
WK/G2/1-82 (2 boxes): Guys Cliffe
WK/G3/1-33 (1 box): Gosta Green
WK/H1/1-20 (1 box): Halford
WK/H2/1-298 (7 boxes): Hall Green
WK/H3/1-103 (3 boxes): Hampton-In-Arden
WK/H4/1-33 (1 box): Hampton Lucy
WK/H5/1-886 (20 boxes): Handsworth
WK/H6/1-803 (18 boxes): Harborne
WK/H7/1-37 (1 box): Hatton
WK/H8/1-452 (8 boxes): Hay Mills
WK/H9/1-100 (2 boxes): Henley-in-Arden
WK/H10/1-455 (11 boxes): Hockley
WK/H10/100-219 (3 boxes): Jewellery Quarter, Anthony Spettigue, 1987.
WK/H10/220-230 (1 box): Jewellery Quarter, Roy Peters, 1992.
WK/H11/1-15 (1 box): Honington
WK/H12/1-47 (2 boxes): Hamstead
WK/I1/1-24 (1 box): Idlicote
WK/I2/1-15 (1 box): Ilmington
WK/K1/1-170 (4 boxes): Kenilworth
WK/K2/1-101 (2 boxes): Kineton
WK/K3/1-92 (2 boxes): Kingsbury
WK/K4/1-375 (7 boxes): Kings Heath
WK/K5/1-758 (17 boxes): Kings Norton
WK/K7/1-42 (1 box): Kinwarton
WK/K8/1-173 (4 boxes): Knowle
WK/K10/1-148 (4 boxes): Kingstanding
WK/L1/1-87 (2 boxes): Lapworth
WK/L2/1-63 (2 boxes): Leamington
WK/L3/1-12 (1 box): Leek Wooton
WK/L4/1-40 (1 box): Long Compton
WK/L5/1-149 (4 boxes): Ladywood
WK/L6/1-146 (4 boxes): Lee Bank & Highgate
WK/L7/1-142 (4 boxes): Lozells & Birchfield
WK/M1/1-54 (2 boxes): Mancetter
WK/M2/1-162 (3 boxes): Maxstoke
WK/M3/1-36 (1 box): Merevale
WK/M4/1-66 (2 boxes): Meriden
WK/M5/1-58 (2 boxes): Middleton
WK/M6/1-376 (9 boxes): Moseley
WK/M7/1-42 (1 box): Monks Kirby
WK/N1/1-38 (1 box): Newton Regis
WK/N2/1-473 (9 boxes): Northfield
WK/N3/1-196 (4 boxes): Nuneaton
WK/N4/1-315 (8 boxes): Newtown
WK/O1/1-13 (1 box): Offchurch
WK/O2/1-66 (2 boxes): Oscott
WK/O3/1-30 (1 box): Oxhill
WK/P1/1-34 (1 box): Packington
WK/P2/1-47 (1 box): Packwood
WK/P3/1-268 (7 boxes): Perry Barr
WK/P3/100-133 (1 box): Bellamy family c.1900, and related newspaper article.
WK/P3/134-170 (2 boxes): Fred Ingram collection, 1959, photo survey of buildings demolished for the Birchfield Road underpass scheme.
WK/P4/1-16 (1 box): Pype Hayes
WK/P5/1-106 (2 boxes): Polesworth
WK/Q1/1-126 (3 boxes): Quinton
WK/R1/1-17 (1 box): Radway
WK/R2/1-37 (1 box): Ragley Hall
WK/R3/1-51 (1 box): Rowington
WK/R4/1-254 (7 boxes): Rubery & Rednal
WK/R5/1-148 (3 boxes): Rugby
WK/R6/1-12 (1 box): Ryton-on-Dunsmore
WK/S1/1-63 (2 boxes): Salford Priors
WK/S2/1-352 (8 boxes): Saltley, Duddeston & Nechells
WK/S3/1-30 (1 box): Seckington
WK/S4/1-360 (9 boxes): Selly Oak
WK/S5/1-342 (9 boxes): Sheldon
WK/S6/1-25 (1 box): Shipston-on-Stour
WK/S7/1-18 (1 box): Shottery
WK/S8/1-332 (8 boxes): Small Heath
WK/S9/1-460 (10 boxes): Solihull
WK/S9/383-447 (2 boxes): Olton, 1902, Barnette Johnstone.
WK/S10/1-250 (5 boxes): Sparkhill & Sparkbrook
WK/S11/1-142 (4 boxes): Stechford
WK/S12/1-74 (2 boxes): Southam
WK/S13/1-96 (2 boxes): Stoneleigh
WK/S14/1-192 (4 boxes): Stratford-upon-Avon
WK/S15/1-104 (3 boxes): Studley
WK/S17/1-297 (6 boxes): Sutton Coldfield
WK/S18/1-247 (6 boxes): Shard End
WK/T1/1-88 (2 boxes): Tanworth-in-Arden
WK/T2/1-16 (1 box): Temple Grafton
WK/T3/1-30 (1 box): Tredington
WK/T4/1-81 (2 boxes): Tyseley & Greet
WK/T5/1-35 (1 box): Tysoe
WK/U1/1-18 (1 box): Upper Shuckburgh
WK/W1/1-13 (1 box): Walton
WK/W2/1-113 (3 boxes): Ward End
WK/W3/1-14 (1 box): Warmington
WK/W4/1-464 (10 boxes): Warwick
WK/W6/1-24 (1 box): Washwood Heath
WK/W7/1-21 (1 box): Welford-on-Avon
WK/W8/1-28 (1 box): Wellesbourne Hastings
WK/W9/1-142 (3 boxes): Weoley Castle
WK/W10/1-53 (1 box): Witton
WK/W11/1-27 (1 box): Wixford
WK/W12/1-33 (1 box): Wolston
WK/W13/1-43 (1 box): Wolvey
WK/W14/1-114 (2 boxes): Wootton Wawen
WK/W15/1-25 (1 box): Wroxhall
WK/W16/1-227 (5 boxes): Winson Green
WK/W16/50-74 (1 box): Earle, Bourne & Co. Ltd. c.1900.
WK/Y1/1-516 (14 boxes): Yardley
WK/Y2/1-153 (3 boxes): Yardley Wood
WK/Misc/1-83 (2 boxes): Miscellaneous

Other:
1985 Handsworth Riots (9 boxes)
Branch Libraries, 1910 (1 box)
Old Central Library, 1910 (1 box)
Original WPS index (4 vols)
Duplicates (2 boxes)
'Montage Images' (1 box)
WO (2 boxes): Worcestershire (various)
WO/H4/1-73 (1 box): Harvington, Worcestershire
WO/H6/1-17 (1 box): Huddington, Worcestershire
Oxford & Northants (1 box)
"Crosses", James Nelson, various church monuments (1 box)
Deserted Medieval Villages, aerial photos (1 box)
Warwickshire Churches, F.J. Zenas Carter, c.1950 (1 box)
Stratford & Kenilworth, souvenir photo snaps, c.1910 (1 box)

* serve surrogate.
Related MaterialArchives:
BCC 1/AT Birmingham City Council Free Libraries Committee, later Public Libraries Committee and its related sub-committees and departments (1860 - 1968)
BCC 1/BA Museum and School of Art Committee and its related sub-committees and departments (1884 - 1912)
BCH/AL Handsworth Public Libraries Committee (1877 - 1911) [For minutes and reports relating to the Handsworth Photographic Survey material documented in MS 2724/4]
MS 585 Birmingham Archaeological Society - Photographic Section
MS 2507 Records of the Birmingham Photographic Society (1850s - 1990s)
MS 2609 Records of J.H. Leeson & Son (c1890 - 1950)
MS 2727 Birmingham Photographic Grid (2007 - 2008)
MS 2728 The Henry Yool Photographic Collection (19th cent.)
MS 3184 Edwin C. Middleton Collection
MS 4424 Yardley Survey
MS 4425 Old Yardley Village Conservation Area (Photo Survey)
MS 4426 Slides of original photographs of Yardley
MS 4453 William Jerome Harrison Collection
MS 4487 E.A. Bierman Collection
MS 4691 Edwin Jaques

Local Studies Photographic Collections:
- Benjamin Stone Collection (Uncatalogued: Please contact Birmingham Archives and Heritage for further information)
- William Jerome Harrison Collection MS 4453 (Uncatalogued: Please contact Birmingham Archives and Heritage for further information)

Local Studies Reference Collections:
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Catalogue with notes of an exhibition of photographs of the Photographic Survey of Warwickshire', three collections, three volumes, 1892 - 1896 [L50.1]
- Handsworth Photographic Society 14th Annual Report, 1908 [L25.69, 256497] *
- Handsworth Photographic Society Proceedings are detailed in 'Handsworth: An illustrated local magazine' (From Vol. I, No. 1, July 1894 onwards) [L93.1 255366]
- William Jerome Harrison, 'Notes upon a proposed photographic survey of Warwickshire. Read before the Birmingham Photographic Society', 1889 [L25.69, 314613]
- 'History photographs by Sir J.B. Stone. Exhibited in the Art Gallery, Birmingham. Warwickshire Photographic Survey Collection', 1913 [Birmingham Exhibitions E/1, 244487]
- 'Index to the Warwickshire Photographic Survey prints in the Birmingham Reference Library', 1934 [414634]
- George Parker, ed., 'Historical notes on the Birmingham Photographic Society, 1857 - 1915 by Bernard Moore' (November 1957) [L25.69, 669416]
- Howard Shakespeare Pearson, 'The Photographic Survey of Warwickshire. By Howard. S. Pearson. A paper read before the Congress of Archaeological Societies in union with the Society of Antiquaries, July 10, 1893'. Published in 'Antiquary', Vol. XXVIII, No. 166 [L97, Warwick C/6, 122148]
- John Benjamin Stone Collection particularly on Hall and Pype Hayes Hall', 1935 [L 97 437002]
- John Benjamin Stone newspaper cuttings, volume 2, relating to the Warwickshire Photographic Survey, collected by Sir J.B. Stone', c1892 [Stone Collection, Newscuttings, 279519]
- Warwickshire Photographic Survey, 1914 - 1915, 1918 - 1919 and 1920. 5 volumes. All published [Birmingham Institutions F/4, 259696]

Secondary reading:
- Elizabeth Edwards, Peter James and Martin Barnes, 'A record of England. Sir Benjamin Stone & the National Photographic Record Association, 1897 - 1910' (Stockport: Dewi Lewis Publications, 2006)
- Peter James, ed., 'Harrison's Warwickshire. Photographs of the County, 1890 - 1908, by William Jerome Harrison with an introduction by Peter James' (Birmingham: Birmingham Books and Warwickshire Books, 1992)
- James, Peter, 'A century of survey photography' published in 'The Local Historian', Volume 20, Number 4 (November 1990), pp. 166 - 172
- Ranahan, Tom Patrick, 'Establishing the case for digitising the Warwickshire Photographic Survey. Submitted to School of Computing, Engineering and Information Sciences Northumbria University as part the reqirements for the Msc Information and Library Management' (March 2010) [Copy with Birmingham Archives and Heritage staff].
- Frederick W. Rea, 'Handsworth Photographic Society, founded 1894, Affiliated with the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain. Federated with the Midland Photographic Federation' (1981) [B COL 25.69 REA]
- Saunders, Gill, ed., 'Recording Britain' (London: V&A Publishing, 2011)

Library of Birmingham web resources:
- The Iron Room (theironroom.wordpress.com) - Archives and Heritage blog. See article on the Warwickshire Photographic Survey: http://theironroom.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/warwickshire-photographic-survey/. There content about specific items in the collection elsewhere in the blog.
- Library of Birmingham (www.libraryofbirmingham.org.uk) - The Library of Birmingham website has on-line galleries showcasing images for some Birmingham suburbs and and providing some general background information relating to the collection: http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/warwickshirephotographicsurvey
- Connecting Histories (www.connectinghistories.org.uk) - Visualising Birmingham resource has an introductory guide to the Survey: http://www.connectinghistories.org.uk/birminghamstories/guides/downloads/bs_rg_visualising-birmingham.pdf

Related collections and resources held elsewhere:
- National Photographic Record Association Collection (Victoria and Albert Museum, London www.vam.ac.uk)
- Recording Britain Topographical Watercolours (Victoria and Albert Museum, London www.vam.ac.uk)
- Sir Benjamin Stone Parliamentary Photographs (National Portrait Gallery, London www.npg.org.uk)
CreatorNameVarious
LanguageEnglish
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022