Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref NoMS 555
TitleMaterial collected by Frederick Tyrie Sidney Houghton, Antiquary
Date1903 - 1932
LevelCollection
Extent0.05
FormatCubic metres
AccessStatusOpen
AdminHistoryF. T. S. Houghton (1854/5 - 1939) was educated at Rugby and St. John's College, Cambridge. From 1883 until his retirement in 1913 he was Science Master at King Edward VI Grammar School, Five Ways. His interests were wide ranging and included geology (he was a Fellow of the Geological Society) and the Birmingham Library, of which he was at one time Chairman. He was best known for his interest in archaeological and antiquarian matters, however, and he published several papers on aspects of local (especially Worcestershire) churches in antiquarian journals. In addition, he was author of 'The Little Guide to Worcestershire' 1922 and assisted Mawer and Stenton in the preparation of 'The Place Names of Worcestershire' 1927 and 'The Place Names of Warwickshire' 1936.

He was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and Vice-President of the Birmingham Archaeological Society. For many years he was also Secretary of the Architectural Detail Postal Club. He lived at 188 Hagley Road, Edgbaston throughout the period covered by these records. His wife, who had been ill for some years, died in 1911.
Related MaterialA collection of Houghton's photographic negatives is in the Barber Institute, and copies of some of these (mainly views of churches) are available here [547570-71 - IIR 31].
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019