Ref NoUC 2/10
TitleDay Schools
Date1867 - 1871
LevelSub Collection
DescriptionDuring April 1867 meetings were called by the Mayor of Birmingham to consider the position of primary education in Birmingham. The meetings generated public interest, after which a number of local gentlemen met privately to consider the possibility of opening Day Schools in the school rooms attached to the Church of the Messiah. A deputation met with the Vestry Committee on 10 April 1867, and it was resolved that a special meeting of the committee should be called to consider the question, and also that a General Meeting of the Congregation should be summoned for a similar purpose.

On 24 April the deputation again attended the Vestry Committee, and detailed the proposals set down in their scheme, namely that non-denominational Day Schools for boys and girls be commenced in the Church of the Messiah school rooms as soon as funds were obtained, and that the congregation and manufacturers in the neighbourhood be canvassed for subscriptions. The subscription eventually raised £172 10s 6d, and on 10 July 1867 the Canvassing Sub-Committee reported that their proposals were generally well favoured.

By the time the Days Schools Committee first met on 25 July 1867 the schools were up and running, with the minutes discussing the salary of the Master (at £100 per annum), the provision of books and stationery, school fees (generally between 3d and 6d per week). The Day Schools closed in 1871, the Church of the Messiah organising Night Schools which effectively replaced them until they were discontinued in 1879, although no minutes survive for this successor body.
AccessStatusOpen
LanguageEnglish
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022